Delta Development Group, a private real estate development and investment company founded in the Netherlands in 1988, has carried out more than 120 projects and manages a portfolio of EUR 800 million, mainly in commercial real estate in 2014. The society has established offices in Germany, France and Italy. CEO Coert ZACHARIASSE, inspired by the theory of the Craddle to Craddle, (C2C) launched in 2010 the Park 2020 project in Hoofddorp, near Amsterdam.
DELTA DEVELOPMENT GROUP, the Dutch real estate company creates sustainable buildings using the Cradle to cradle model.
- To implement circular economy activities in the built environment.
- To set a long-term vision of circular business with added values and principles.
- To create sustainable buildings of quality that will retain their value through years.
- To maintain a good balance between function of the buildings and profitability.
- To achieve a close-loop effect through a more extensive collaboration with more companies in the near future.
Delta Development is deeply inspired by the Cradle to Cradle model of redesigning our system. Building have residual value (negative values) but if we look at building in details we observe that they are systems in which goods enter and leave (partitions, construction, facades) ; and these goods have value.
Step 1: Material identification and tracking. Look to materials that are able to be recycled. For example, look at the health aspects: non toxic materials, biodiversity respected, logistics (how to reintegrate materials, renewable energy).
Step 2: Reverse logistics activities: increase the residual value of the materials used. The supply chain can optimise their operation and running costs. Therefore, high-level quality assurance through the use of materials that are safe and healthy for the biosphere.
3 strategies for the construction project (new/existing/obsolete real estate):
- For new building: maximum the sustainability of the property.
- For existing building: active asset management and retrofitting the property to gain the capacity of the sustainability.
- For obsolete building: redevelop and re-cycle derelict sites to improve the environment in a sustainable manner.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
Using the resources more efficiently will:
- Reduce the cost for the long-term.
- The region became attractive for companies (at the beginning 25 companies, now more than 300).
- Bring new growth and job opportunities (10 000 jobs created in the region).
- Create sustainable buildings of quality that will retain their value indefinitely.
- Cradle to Cradle principles: production techniques that are efficient and waste free.
- Better eco-design.
- Tailor-made and customized buildings.
- Create an information program in partnership with DELFT University.