Syngenta AG is a global Swiss agribusiness that produces agrochemicals and seeds. As a biotechnology company, it conducts genomic research. It was formed in 2000 by the merger of Novartis Agribusiness and Zeneca Agrochemicals. In 2014 Syngenta was the world’s largest crop chemical producer. In 2011 they engaged in a program called The Good Growth Plan focusing on the collaboration with growers and partners to address the problem of “how do we feed a world growing population?” in a sustainable way. As part of this plan they implemented the NUCOFFEE model in Brazil.
The Swiss agribusiness company SYNGENTA launches Nucoffee: an initiative that connects growers, cooperatives and roasters in a transparent business partnership.
5. Fair Operating Practices
- Enabling farmers to make better use of available resources
- Operate in all part of the coffee chain.
- Promote the integration between producers, cooperatives, and roasters through the commercialization of distinguished-quality coffees.
- Support the improvement of quality and best practices for cultivation while helping create closer relationships between the demand and the origins of coffee.
Nucoffee connects growers, cooperatives and roasters in a transparent business partnership.
Nucoffee offers growers and cooperatives several expert services to help them improve the quality of their coffee and to settle more sustainable habits to grow coffee. Nucoffee also offers the exchange of coffee beans against crop inputs, enabling farmers to make better use of available resources
Nucoffee gives them access to a platform of personalized traceability from crop to export to create closer relationships between the demand and the origins of the coffee. They have also connection with the commercial chain through sustainable partnerships.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
- The coffee growers doubled their return on investment within 2 years
- Helped develop more than 500 partnerships with farms
- Boost of the production of premium coffee
- Syngenta increased its margin from 52% to 65%.
- Buyers can use the traceability system
- Expertise exchange and farmers have access to new technologies
- Boost of the productivity of farmlands
- More than 20 services customized for the producers (about relationships, managements, etc.)