The transport sector represents 15% of the world’s CO2 emissions and 35% of global emissions in cities. TNT, a leading express parcel delivery company established in 2007 the "Planet Me" program, to reduce the impacts of its activities on climate change.
TNT delivers parcels in cities with electric scooters
Energy / Greenhouse Gases (GHG)
- Reducing CO2 emissions of the group by 45% by 2020.
- Becoming a leader in carbon neutral transport.
- Empowering employees and encourage concrete action.
The "Planet Me" program consists of three components:
- Count carbon: carbon footprint, communications, ideas for solutions
- Code Orange: identification of concrete commitments and actions on different sites (aircraft, vehicles, buildings, investments ...)
- Choose orange incentive to behave responsibly employees, organizational challenges
Deliveries of parcels in town, although it represents only a small part of the group's activities, are particularly expensive ecologically as well as economically (ex: noise, frequent stops, fuel consumption).
In France, TNT Express is developing an innovative carbon-neutral solution, in partnership with Becycle. After testing deliveries by bike on a smaller scale in the city of St. Etienne, the company uses an innovative electric scooter: the mechanical force of the pedals can recharge a lithium battery, which provides assistance that can propel the electric vehicle up to 25km/h. The advantages of this mode of transport are numerous:
- Ease of travel and parking near the place of delivery saves time (transport, delivery): saving time and money.
- Less noise pollution and no CO2 emissions.
- Visibility and advertising company with a logo on TNT scooter.
The project is multiplying: after Lyon (Becycle franchises), implementation of new generation scooters in Grenoble, Nancy, Dijon and Paris.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
- Competitive position positively related to multiple environmental initiatives: testing of electric vehicles and alternatives, eco driving, reducing business travel.
- Electric scooter: saving time, saving fuel, maintenance, and free advertising of TNT’s green logo.
- TNT group: reduction of 125,000 tons of Green House Gaz Emissions in 2009.
- Electric Scooter: Zero Carbon emissions for the delivery of light parcels in the city, maintaining the speed by an electric motor powered by energy from the movement of the pedals.
- Multipliable Innovation.