Deforestation accounts for 15% of global greenhouse gas emissions and forests now cover only 6% of the globe. In light of this alarming phenomenon, the social enterprise BioCarbon Partners was created to protect the Zambian fauna and flora, in cooperation with local populations. It does this by developing and managing long-term forest carbon projects in globally important biodiversity landscapes in Africa. In this way, the company contributes to driving change by working to reinvent rural Africa through innovative Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) projects.
BIOCARBON PARTNERS: offsetting forest carbon to serve the ecosystem and communities
- Conserving African ecosystems by limiting the negative externalities of deforestation
- Raising public awareness of the protection of fauna and flora
- Participate in the social development of local populations and reduce poverty
- Encourage collaboration between the various stakeholders: companies, public authorities, local populations
The BCP approach is based on the REDD+ model. It is a mechanism designed to reduce global emissions from deforestation by creating a financial value from the protection of carbon stored in forests.
By following the principles of "free, prior and informed consent", BCP raises awareness of the key role communities play in protecting forests. Communities participate in community meetings, mapping and field verification activities to visit and delineate the forests they commit to protect. This agreement is framed by long-term legal agreements.
Forest carbon and carbon dioxide emissions from deforestation are then measured through rigorous scientific processes and verified by the international auditor Verified Carbon Standard (VCS). It then issues verified forest carbon offsets based on the community's performance in protecting wildlife habitat.
These emissions reductions defined as forest carbon offsets are then sold by BCP to companies and individuals seeking to reduce their carbon footprint. Revenues from these sales are reinvested in local communities and used to fund long-term conservation of wildlife habitat.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
- Validation with the Climate, Community and Biodiversity (CCB) standard
- B Corp Certification: certification that measures a company's overall social and environmental performance
- 2018 Best For the World: Environment Honoured
- BioCarbon Partners is committed to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) REDD+ program
- 980,520 hectares of protected forests
- 1,439,039 tonnes of carbon emissions reduced each year
- 1,500,000$ invested in community development projects since 2013 (access to education, drinking water...)
- 80,000 people benefit from improved living standards and community development
This Best Practice has been translated voluntarily by an anonymous contributor. If you have any comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.