According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), air transport contributed 3% of the greenhouse effect globally in 1992 and might contribute 5% in 2050. To take part in the limitation of this impact, Air France committed to analyze and control its own emissions. The company leads various actions such as the compensation of CO2.
AIR FRANCE proposes to its users to compensate their CO2 emissions
- To offer the Air France KLM users the possibility to compensate the emissions of CO2 of their flights
Air France published on its website a carbon calculator enabling the user to know the quantity of gas that his flight emitted and to convert it in a monetary sum. The user can decide whether to donate this sum to the association GoodPlanet for the development of compensation projects (production of green charcoal in Senegal, building of biogas tanks in China); 85% of the sums are directly allocated to the projects, and the other 15% are used to cover the running costs of the program.
The calculator concerns all the flights performed with a plane of Air France’s fleet. Gas emissions are directly proportional to the quantity of fuel consumed (3.15 tons of CO2 for one ton of fuel). The calculation is based on real operation data recorded flight after flight :
- The type of operated plane,
- The real consumption of fuel,
- The number of passengers,
- The weight of luggage and goods transported.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
- Contribution to the image of the company and influence on clients
- Compensation of carbon emissions by developing “green” energy sources (green charcoal in Senegal, biogas tank in China)
- Awareness of users and proposition of solutions to compensate their impact on the environment