Our planet will have to feed around 8 billion inhabitants within the next 10 years. 10 times less land, 11 times less fossil fuel, and 100 times less water are required to product vegetal proteins compared to animal proteins. Alprosoya, through its industry, makes its own contribution to food products that use less natural resources.
ALPROSOYA promotes healthy and ecologic food
6. Clients and consumers
Client and consumer health and safety
- Promoting healthy food products with a low carbon footprint
- Backing and controlling a natural farming right up
- Developing « green » food production processes
Alprosoya operates a traceability program, from the farmer to the end product :
- The company buys whole, non genetically-modified soya beans direct from the farmers (Brasil, Canada, China). None of the farms cultivating for Alpro Soya is on a deforested land, and the farmers respect the natural crop rotation. Long-term relationships are maintained with the farmers, and they are always granted with an income, even in case of bad harvest. Grains ship to european plants.
- Every plant uses a method of dissection, soak and grinding from the whole soya bean. It is thus totally free from any chemical, from the beginning to the last step, that of sterilization. The step consists in heating up the juice following the UHT process (Ultra-High Temperature) to kill the possible germs while preserving nutritional elements. Other elements such as calcium and vitamines may be added, but no artifical sweetener or colour is used.
- The company bet on a quality control (35 employees, ISO 9001 standard and HACCP process) to meet these environment and health requirements. It implemented a program in association with an Energy manager. It consists in developing renewable energies and making the employees of every department aware of waste. All water is purified, and soya pulp and peel is transformed into cattle feed. End products are wrapped in sterilised Tetra Pak packaging and have the european eco-label.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
- Meeting the consumers’ demand (quality, environmental concern, health)
- Sales show steady growth: the turnover has twofolded in 5 years time; the number of employees has jumped from 450 to 760.
- The impact of the production of proteins on the environment is limited (water, energy, lands)
- Reduction in chemical pollution and positive impact on consumers’ health