Decathlon is an international company founded in 1976 that designs and markets sporting goods in its 1053 stores in 28 countries. Historically, CSR actions are brought on HR topics (employee shareholding , training) and managerial topics ( right to make mistakes , the collective culture) , and dialogue with their local store’s party stakeholders . They were then extended to manufacturing products in factories ( Human Responsibility approach in production ) . The 2000s marked the consideration of environmental issues (GHG balance , eco-design ).
Promoting responsible consumption through posting the environmental performance of DECATHLON products
6. Clients and consumers
- Provide customers with the ability to include environmental performance as a selection criterion,
- Showcase products with a limited environmental impact, thereby increasing their sales.
Aware of the environmental impact of its activities, Decathlon deploys a strong strategy on all its products and in all countries: the display of environmental performance of products directly on the markup . Decathlon is one of the pioneers on this subject. Decathlon works in cooperation with the Afnor - Ademe platform and a working group led by the European Commission to discuss the methods and harmonize market practices.
The impact assessment is based on a multi-criteria analysis (water, air, energy, waste) throughout the product life cycle. A mark from A to E for each product informs customers about its environmental performance , allowing them to compare the same type of products between them.
Since December 2015, over 900 Decathlon products, pictograms are used to identify products designed with an environmental approach.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
- Calculation of 61% of the Decathlon Passion products.
- 33.85 % of the product engineers are autonomous on our tool for environmental assessment.
- 300 models (about 900 references) benefit from this information on the websites of online sales.
- Continuous improvement of environmental performance of products.
- This encourages design teams to model and reduce the environmental impacts of upstream products .
- Tests are underway to assess the impact of this information on purchasing behavior.