SME established in the 1950s, Lesage & Fils is a quality meat wholesale family company. In 2011, the management wondered about the sustainability of its economic model and committed itself to a CSR approach through its “Charte de Progrès pour le Développement Durable” (literally, Charter of Progress for Sustainable Development). Lesage & Fils attaches great importance to the well-being of its employees. It notably encourages social dialogue, upskilling and telework for proximity management.
LESAGE & FILS implements telework for its employees
3. Labor relations / working conditions
- Improve the employees’ working conditions
Background – the company works on a just-in-time basis: orders are placed at any time with a peak between 10 a.m. and 12 noon, and then again between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., but some are also placed until late at night from restaurant customers. Order operators used to come at 4 a.m. to enter the orders that were placed during the night, for a next day delivery. Then, they went back home before returning to work at 9 a.m.
- They had to go to work twice which was dangerous, increased the risk of accident –especially in winter– and led to sleep disorders.
Therefore, Lesage & Fils has decided to implement telework, since 2012. Telework has required the purchase of software so that teleoperators can enter the orders from home. The investments amount to about €12,000, which include a TSE-type server enabling the employees to remotely log on to the company’s server via the Internet, an effective firewall to secure the company’s data, a computer with Internet access for the teleworkers, and a system so that they can check their e-mails.
Personal problems involved in working at home (spouse, working hours, equipment…) have been considered and a “telework” specific contract of employment has been established.
Thus, entering the orders is now done late at night or just before going to work at 9 a.m., from the operators’ home. This represents 6.5 hours of telework over 4 days + a negotiated day off in lieu per week.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
- Today, telework concerns 10% of the workforce.
- Complaints relative to remotely entering the orders is divided by 2
- The absenteeism rate is zero since the implementation of the system.
- Fewer travel expenses from home to work
- Improvement of the well-being
- Better balance between private and professional life for the employees