DECATHLON is a French CPG company of sporting and leisure goods, present internationally. Its CSR actions are focused on HR, in particular on culture of the collaborators. The long term vision is for DECATHLON is to place it’s staff as the first representatives of the company; contributing daily to the development of the company. In 2015, a collaborative project was launched to write a 10-year vision.
DECATHLON places its staff at the heart of its strategy
1. Organizational Governance
Strategy and organization
- Create a collaborative vision with a common goal, for a sustainable development of the company.
- Assure progress for the totality of its activities.
- Develop the meaning of work to contribute to the company development.
- Involve the employees who participate in the short and long term strategies.
Since 2015, DECATHLON started a collaborative work effort, aiming to involve all of its staff in the company strategy to create a common long term vision from now until 2019. For this, the company has looked at information coming from the « bottom – up ». This is comprised of 4 steps :
- Connect : This entails the stage of exploration, to know how to ensure commitment from everyone.
- Inspire : Here, external parties intervene in order to inspire the employees and give a vision regarding work condition in the next 10 years.
- Explore : Workshop creation in order to discuss all together what they would like to work on during the next 10 years and what they expect from the company.
- Co-writing : Compilation of different elements.
From this approach of involving the employees on a large scale, they expect to be involved again in such decision making processes.
To follow this project daily, DECALTHLON uses satisfaction measurements ("Decathlon Teammates Barometer", "Great place to work" …) seminars, learning expeditions and agreements with the Committee for Companies.
CONTRIBUTION TO COMPANY PERFORMANCE
- Hourly salary increase from 5 à 10% (from 2015 to 2016)
- The turn over went from -30% to -55% (from 2015 to 2016)
- Absences went from -40% to -60% (from 2015 to 2016)
- 50,4 % or 36 171 employees are shareholders and have 11,71 % of the Decathlon capital.
- 43 % of the employees are involved in company projects
- 90 % (84 % in 2014) of the employees confirm that they come to work with pleasure.
- 85 % of the employees agree that they grow with more responsibility
Source: The "Decathlon Teammates Barometer" 2015 survey results.